How To Share an Expert or Informed Opinion on Research Articles
The ways in which readers can share expert scholarly opinions about academic and scientific research articles have increased markedly as the internet has become an acceptable and fashionable venue for disseminating advanced research. Critical thoughts and views about published scholarship that were once written by experts behind closed doors and read by no more than a small number of like-minded researchers can now be shared online by anyone who has an opinion and the desire to express it. As appealing as this may be for many readers who wish to share their views, it nevertheless means that there are as many questionable and poorly conceived opinions available on the web as there are thoughtful and informative ones.
The first concern, then, when sharing any kind of opinion on a research article is to read the article carefully as well as critically, ensuring that you thoroughly comprehend the author’s meaning and the implications of the research he or she reports and discusses. Ideally, you will also possess the extensive background knowledge necessary for an informed opinion. In addition, your thoughts should be written in language that is clear and correct, and your comments and tone should be respectful, fair and as objective as possible.
Increase Your Chances of Getting Published
If you wish to share your opinion on a research article in a traditional scholarly manner, consider one or more of the following options.
• Do a pre-publication review of the research article for a scientific or academic journal. In most cases only the editor(s) of the journal and the author(s) of the article will see your peer review comments, but you can encourage improvements to the research and writing and have an impact on whether the article is published or not.
• Discuss the research article in a journal review article or in the literature review (or any other relevant) section of your own research article or monograph. Because reviewing a research article in this way generally means considering it in the context of other publications in the field, a review article can be a particularly effective means of sharing an expert opinion about advanced research.
• Write a formal response to the research article. Some journals publish expert or authoritative opinions of this kind, often as letters to the editor and occasionally as opinion-based articles. If the author of a research article published in a journal has commented on your research in a way that begs a response, that journal may be an appropriate venue for sharing that response with readers.
• Do a review of the entire publication containing the research article. This is rare for journals, though not unprecedented, but if a research paper is published as a chapter in a monograph instead of as a journal article, doing a post-publication review of the book will allow you to share your opinion on the paper. You will need to deal with every chapter of the book in some way, however, so this approach requires a wider perspective and usually more time and effort.
If, on other hand, you would like to share your opinion on a research article via one of the less traditional and in some cases less formal means now available, the following options will probably be of interest.
• Do a post-publication review of the research article. Some scholarly journals have adopted a strategy for peer reviews whereby an article is published online, experts are invited to comment and the reviews are published alongside the article, enabling readers to consult them as well as the article and allowing authors to respond and revise as appropriate.
• Discuss the research article on your institutional or personal website. This will be most effective if you consider the article in relation to your own research and share opinions on other key publications in your field as well. Your students may find your opinions on research articles particularly helpful.
• Share your opinion of the research article in a blog post or other kind of online article. If the research article is closely related to your own research or its results profoundly affect your work, an entire post might be dedicated to your opinions about the developments the research article introduces. Alternatively, your thoughts about the research article might be mentioned in passing at a pertinent point in your discussion of other matters.
• Use social media (both personal and professional) to share your opinion on the research article. If the article has just been published or you have recently read it for the first time, sharing your views about its content and significance with others who may have already read it or would be interested in doing so can be beneficial for both you and your connections.
Why Our Editing and Proofreading Services?
At Proof-Reading-Service.com we offer the highest quality English editing and proofreading services via our large and extremely dedicated team of academic and scientific professionals. All of our proofreaders and editors are native speakers of English who have earned their own postgraduate degrees, and their areas of specialisation cover such a wide range of disciplines that we are able to help our international clientele with research editing to improve and perfect all kinds of academic manuscripts for successful publication. Many of the carefully trained members of our expert editing and proofreading team work predominantly on articles intended for publication in scholarly journals, applying painstaking journal editing standards to ensure that the references and formatting used in each paper are in conformity with the journal’s instructions for authors and to correct any grammar, spelling, punctuation or simple typing errors. In this way, we enable our clients to report their research in the clear and accurate ways required to impress acquisitions editors and achieve publication.
Our scientific editing services for the authors of a wide variety of scientific journal papers are especially popular, but we also offer book editing services and have the experience and expertise to proofread and edit manuscripts in all scholarly disciplines, as well as beyond them. We have team members who specialise in medical editing and bioscience editing, and some of our experts dedicate their time exclusively to PhD proofreading and master’s proofreading, offering research students the opportunity to improve their use of formatting and language through the most exacting thesis editing and dissertation proofreading practices. Whether you are preparing a conference paper for presentation, polishing a progress report to share with colleagues, or facing the daunting task of editing and perfecting any kind of scholarly document for publication, a qualified member of our professional team can provide invaluable assistance and give you greater confidence in your written work.