Graduate and postgraduate studies require formal writing in every discipline. Regardless of their field, researchers and scholars need to be able to share their discoveries, in language that is accessible and relevant in the global marketplace of ideas. Excellent writing at the professional level entails a set of skills that are both fundamental and highly advanced, doing justice to the expertise of the research while transmitting information and ideas clearly to the chosen audience. For the graduating candidate particularly, excellent writing is required to produce a solid dissertation. Learn more about how to submit your dissertation for our dissertation editing and proofreading services.
Why Are Editing Services Necessary for a Dissertation?
When you are about to present your dissertation to a group of the senior faculty who taught you much of what went into it, this is not the time to make glaring mistakes. Nor is it the time to make tiny mistakes. Even the most innocuous sentence errors – gratuitous surface errors within individual sentences – can interfere with your ability to convey your ideas and your information. This is a good time for dissertation editing services. Any solid piece of writing requires that you edit, revise, and proofread. Genuinely expert proofreading by qualified dissertation editors can help at every level. In dissertation editing, a good line-by-line reading will detect mistakes and infelicities in all the potential problem areas – mechanics, punctuation, grammar, diction, usage, and syntax. It is always best to have a second pair of eyes and never more so than when you are making the final rounds of polishing and editing your dissertation.
What Are the Services Provided in Expert Dissertation Editing?
Every good book needs a good editor. This maxim holds true for dissertations. Dissertation editing can help in aspects of writing from the writing style to the apparatus of documentation to the inclusion of support material. An overview of valuable dissertation editing services includes the following:
- Format and layout of the body of the dissertation
- Editing all text for correctness on the sentence-to-sentence level – for example, punctuation, mechanics, grammar, diction, usage, and syntax
- Revising for clarity and intelligibility – dealing with any other-language barriers
- Editing for prose style – choosing appropriate diction for the maximal combination of readability and professionalism
- Revising paragraphs – making improvements to obtain the best sentence order, arranging sentences within paragraphs around clearly stated topics
- Editing as needed for organizing the material – checking for the optimal order of subtopics and the best arrangement for logic and understandability
- Editing the dissertation abstract
- Editing the apparatus of documentation for academic integrity, including the endnotes and bibliography
- Editing text necessary for graphics and/or illustrations – captions, copyright and permissions, order, and arrangement
- Editing other apparatus of document production – all the text for the table of contents, chapter and topic headings, any appendices, and indexing
What Else is Accomplished in Dissertation Editing?
For postgraduate education, ‘writing’ means 1) command of language, producing writing that is accessible to or translatable for international scholars working in the same field; 2) the body of your written work, the text/s that you have produced; 3) the acts of writing and editing, including the dissertation presenting your research, and writing in other forms and genres; and 4) publishing, as in scholarly publishing. Dissertation editing helps with all the above, including the last aspirational step of producing a dissertation that you might in time wish to submit to a university press. The outcome of using dissertation editing services should be a solid piece of writing that showcases your ability not only to conduct advanced research but also to share your work for a variety of purposes and with a variety of audiences.
Your dissertation presents not only your research but also your critical thinking, reading, and composing. In dissertation editing, the emphasis on integrating academic research and documentation does not overshadow the importance of your own discoveries and your own deductions. Dissertation editing services include helping you to clarify and to focus on strategies for revising and for sharing your work in writing. Moving forward, the resulting dissertation should highlight not only your work itself but also the abilities that went into it – approaching the dissertation as a project, persevering in developing the project thoroughly, and revising and editing for improvement at every stage.