Full Stops in Titles, Headings and Captions
As a general rule, a full stop is not used at the end of a displayed title, heading, subheading or caption in scholarly English prose. This applies whether the displayed text is the title at the top of a document, a heading or subheading within the document, or a heading or caption used for a table, figure, appendix or other ancillary element. However, there are several instances in which full stops are required, as outlined below.
• Full stops should be used whenever the relevant guidelines indicate that full stops (also called full points and periods) should close titles, headings and captions, wherever they may appear within a document. It is therefore imperative to consult author instructions and pay careful attention to any details about headings and their formats.
• Paragraph run-in headings do tend to close with a full stop or in some cases a colon. Such headings function as structural and logical divisions and appear at the beginning of paragraphs, but within the main text instead of separated from it in a displayed format The single-word paragraph headings within structured abstracts are good examples (Methodology. The methods employed include…).
• Strictly speaking, a full stop is not required at the end of a table heading, but guidelines tend to indicate the preference for a stop in table headings more often than in the headings within a main text, so do watch the publisher’s instructions for this. Some table headings are very long, so when a table heading consists of more than one sentence, a full stop should be used after each sentence, including the final one.
• As with table headings, figure captions require closure with a full stop more often than the headings in a main text do. In fact, guidelines will sometimes indicate the need for full stops after figure captions when they do not call for full stops after table headings. When figure captions run on to more than one sentence, a full stop should be used after each sentence, including the last one.
• The titles and headings for appendices and other ancillary material such as lists and indices generally follow the same principles as the title and headings for the main text do, so full stops are usually not required. Again, however, if a heading contains more than one sentence, full stops should be used.
• Consistency is important when designing headings, so if the structure of one table heading necessitates a closing full stop, one should usually be used after all table headings, even short ones, to maintain a consistent format. The same principle applies to any particular type of heading (all figure headings, for instance) throughout a document.
• When headings and captions are numbered, full stops are generally used in conjunction with the numbers whether the headings appear within the main text or on tables, figures or other parts of a document. If the heading uses a single number, the full stop is usually placed after the number and followed by a space (3. Methodology). In such cases, no punctuation is also common, and in tables and figures, a colon can be used instead of the full stop. If, on the other hand, the heading features multiple numbers, full stops are used between the numbers, but usually not after the last number (3.1.4 Blending Methods).
• Referring to parts of a document can mean using full stops even when they do not appear in the original headings or captions. For instance, if a document includes appendices that contain tables and there is a need to refer to one of those tables, the reference must distinguish that particular table from any table with the same number within the main document, so a little more information will be necessary, often along with a full stop. The second table in Appendix B can be mentioned as Figure B2, but if the appendices are numbered rather than lettered, matters will become confusing unless a full stop is added. Figure 2.2 is clearly the second figure in Appendix 2, whereas Figure 22 is not.
• Remember whenever you are formatting titles, headings and captions that any special fonts you use should be extended to the final full stop if one is included.
Why Our Editing and Proofreading Services?
At proofreading services we pride ourselves on the exceptionally dedicated team of academic and scientific professionals who provide our English editing and proofreading services. Our editors and proofreaders are highly educated native speakers of English who have undergone rigorous training in expert editing practices, and their fields of study and specialisation range so widely that we are able to help our clients improve and polish research manuscripts of all kinds for successful publication. Many members of our research paper editing and proofreading team focus on journal editing, manuscript editing, scientific manuscript editing, academic proofreading, academic editing, dissertation proofreading services, professional proofreading, thesis editing services and scientific proofreading, assisting authors with articles that will be submitted to scientific and academic journals by ensuring that the formatting and references in their manuscripts conform to the relevant guidelines with precision and by correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling and typing errors to enable the clear and accurate communication of original research that acquisitions editors expect in publishable papers.
Our scientific editing, medical editing, bioscience editing, life science editing, environmental science editing, pharmaceutical science editing, physical science editing, agricultural science editing, LaTeX paper editing, social science editing, political science editing, engineering paper editing, psychology editing, research paper editing, manuscript editing, humanities editing, journal article editing, biomedical science editing, planetary science editing, plant science editing, material science editing, veterinary science editing, behavioural science editing and neurosurgery editing services for authors of scientific papers and reports are especially popular, but we also excel at book editing and have the experience and expertise to proofread and edit books and papers of all kinds across every scholarly discipline. Some of our carefully trained editors and proofreaders work exclusively on PhD thesis editing, master’s dissertation proofreading, bachelor’s dissertation proofreading, thesis editing, dissertation editing, thesis proofreading and dissertation proofreading, applying their education and instructional skills in providing thesis editing and dissertation proofreading services that help advanced students to improve the formatting and language of their theses and dissertations and thereby increase their chances of degree success. Whether you are preparing a conference or class presentation, putting the final touches to a professional report for colleagues or tackling the challenging task of editing any kind of academic or scientific document for publication, a qualified member of our outstanding proofreading and editing team will be delighted to provide proofreading and editing services and boost your confidence in your written work.
If you are in the process of preparing an article for an academic or scientific journal, or planning one for the near future, you may well be interested in a new book, Guide to Journal Publication, which is available on our Tips and Advice on Publishing Research in Journals website.
We also offer the following services:
Journal Article Editing
Research Paper Editing
Grant Application Editing
Conference Paper Editing
Agricultural Science Editing
Chemistry Paper Editing
Environmental Science Editing
LaTeX Paper Editing Services
Life Science Editing
Material Science Editing
Medical Editing Services
Pharmaceutical Science Editing
Physical Sciences Editing
Planetary Science Editing
Plant Science Editing
Sports Science Editing
Veterinary Science Editing
Social Sciences Editing Services
Behavioural Science Editing
History Paper Editing
Management Studies Editing
Political Science Editing
Engineering Paper Editing
Law Paper Editing
PhD Thesis Editing
Master’s Dissertation Editing
Bachelor’s Dissertation Editing
Thesis Editing Services
Dissertation Editing Services
Thesis Proofreading Services
Dissertation Proofreading Services