The Pros and Cons of Reviewing Academic and Scientific Writing
If you are considering reviewing academic or scientific writing, it is wise to reflect both seriously and realistically on the full implications of the tasks you will be performing. Whatever good might come of doing either pre-publication or post-publication reviews will not become a reality if you do not complete the work you promised to do or choose to perform that work shabbily or without a scholarly conscience. Considering the pros and cons or perhaps the investments and returns of reviewing might therefore be helpful.
• Time is a major concern because reviewing scholarship thoroughly and thoughtfully will take more time than most academics and scientists expect when they first begin doing reviews. For pre-publication reviews, time will be an especially sensitive issue, and being tardy with your work and not meeting the deadline you agreed to will hinder the publication process. Consuming large portions of your time completing reviews may be a pro or a con depending on whether you feel you have more important things to do with your time.
• Access to the most recent research before it is published and the acquisition of new publications without charge are among the benefits of pre- and post-publication reviewing, and few would argue that these are anything but pros. However, taking on reviewing jobs that do not match your specialisation is, in most cases, neither fair to the authors nor a productive use of your time. Choosing to review unpublished writing in order to prevent the research of competitors from being published is unethical. Keep in mind that a bird’s eye view of your field and offers of free books must be balanced against the seriousness of reviewing the writing of other scholars.
• Reviewing scholarly writing enables you to do a service for your academic or scientific community, one that will be rewarded with recognition and perhaps some of the benefits that can follow recognition. To be considered an expert in your field, however, you will need to behave as an expert would, reviewing the studies you report on thoroughly, thoughtfully and respectfully. If you do, reviewing may produce pros both personal and professional that easily outweigh the time and effort you invest.
• Reviewing can be a successful aspect of the path to a career in editing and publishing. Peer reviewers who do an excellent job for a journal will be offered new articles to review, and doing an excellent job for the editor time and again can lead to positions on editorial boards and even to a career as chief editor. This may sound more like a con than a pro to those who prefer to conduct research and teach students, but those who truly enjoy reviewing also tend to enjoy editing and publishing, so it is certainly a possibility worth a little exploration.
• Remembering as you read the work of your colleagues, often behind the mask of anonymity, that the object is to benefit knowledge as a whole by enabling the publication of sound and valuable research will help you stay on track. If you remind yourself that you are simply one member of an academic or scientific community that will have other reviewers to judge and therefore enable or hinder your research and writing, you will be better able to keep the human element front and centre as you review, and that is definitely a pro regardless of where your reviewing activities may take you.
Why Our Editing and Proofreading Services?
At proofreading services we pride ourselves on the exceptionally dedicated team of academic and scientific professionals who provide our English editing and proofreading services. Our editors and proofreaders are highly educated native speakers of English who have undergone rigorous training in expert editing practices, and their fields of study and specialisation range so widely that we are able to help our clients improve and polish research manuscripts of all kinds for successful publication. Many members of our research paper editing and proofreading team focus on journal editing, manuscript editing, scientific manuscript editing, academic proofreading, academic editing, dissertation proofreading services, professional proofreading, thesis editing services and scientific proofreading, assisting authors with articles that will be submitted to scientific and academic journals by ensuring that the formatting and references in their manuscripts conform to the relevant guidelines with precision and by correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling and typing errors to enable the clear and accurate communication of original research that acquisitions editors expect in publishable papers.
Our scientific editing, medical editing, bioscience editing, life science editing, environmental science editing, pharmaceutical science editing, physical science editing, agricultural science editing, LaTeX paper editing, social science editing, political science editing, engineering paper editing, psychology editing, research paper editing, manuscript editing, humanities editing, journal article editing, biomedical science editing, planetary science editing, plant science editing, material science editing, veterinary science editing, behavioural science editing and neurosurgery editing services for authors of scientific papers and reports are especially popular, but we also excel at book editing and have the experience and expertise to proofread and edit books and papers of all kinds across every scholarly discipline. Some of our carefully trained editors and proofreaders work exclusively on PhD thesis editing, master’s dissertation proofreading, bachelor’s dissertation proofreading, thesis editing, dissertation editing, thesis proofreading and dissertation proofreading, applying their education and instructional skills in providing thesis editing and dissertation proofreading services that help advanced students to improve the formatting and language of their theses and dissertations and thereby increase their chances of degree success. Whether you are preparing a conference or class presentation, putting the final touches to a professional report for colleagues or tackling the challenging task of editing any kind of academic or scientific document for publication, a qualified member of our outstanding proofreading and editing team will be delighted to provide proofreading and editing services and boost your confidence in your written work.
If you are in the process of preparing an article for an academic or scientific journal, or planning one for the near future, you may well be interested in a new book, Guide to Journal Publication, which is available on our Tips and Advice on Publishing Research in Journals website.
We also offer the following services:
Journal Article Editing
Research Paper Editing
Grant Application Editing
Conference Paper Editing
Agricultural Science Editing
Chemistry Paper Editing
Environmental Science Editing
LaTeX Paper Editing Services
Life Science Editing
Material Science Editing
Medical Editing Services
Pharmaceutical Science Editing
Physical Sciences Editing
Planetary Science Editing
Plant Science Editing
Sports Science Editing
Veterinary Science Editing
Social Sciences Editing Services
Behavioural Science Editing
History Paper Editing
Management Studies Editing
Political Science Editing
Engineering Paper Editing
Law Paper Editing
PhD Thesis Editing
Master’s Dissertation Editing
Bachelor’s Dissertation Editing
Thesis Editing Services
Dissertation Editing Services
Thesis Proofreading Services
Dissertation Proofreading Services