How Can a Proofreader or Editor Help with a Rejected Manuscript
There are a great many ways in which a professional proofreader or editor can help an author who is coping with revising a manuscript that has been rejected by a publisher. The following list is designed to outline key proofreading and editing services. Specific tasks may vary among individuals, texts and situations, but these observations are generally applicable.
Increase Your Chances of Getting Published
• Language correction and improvement is one of the primary services provided by both proofreaders and editors. Many manuscripts are rejected by acquisitions editors each day due to language problems. These can range widely from grammatical errors to mistakes in spelling and punctuation to awkward or confusing phrases to failure to observe consistent usage patterns. All of these problems can compromise the clear communication of advanced research. In most cases, authors who are unable to avoid the problems in the first instance find it challenging to fix them when a press requests changes, so a proofreader or editor can be enormously helpful, but remember that neither should completely rewrite a text for an author.
• The revisions necessary to ensure conformity with publisher guidelines are a specialty of many professional proofreaders and editors. Failure to follow publisher guidelines or author instructions when preparing a manuscript for submission to a journal or press can result in immediate rejection because many of the requirements in these guidelines tend to be highly visible elements. An acquisitions editor can scan a text, detect the problems immediately and lighten his or her workload by eliminating any manuscript that does not follow the instructions. Proofreaders and editors tend to be familiar with deciphering such guidelines and following them with precision and consistency, so their help can quickly resolve problems of this kind.
• Formatting for an effective presentation as well as to meet publisher requirements is often among the tasks a proofreader or editor will perform for clients. Layout, structure, spacing, font choices and many other elements of a manuscript can be considered aspects of its formatting, and those who read and correct the writing of others day after day tend to be adept at spotting what works and what does not as well as acquainted with the software functions used to resolve problems and improve presentation and accessibility. Their expertise will come in very handy if formatting is a reason for rejection.
• The citations and references that are a nightmare for many authors are standard fare for most proofreaders and editors, particularly those who specialise in academic, scientific and professional writing. No matter how complex the citations and references in a manuscript may be and how confusing the publisher instructions for recording them may seem, professional proofreaders and editors are usually well equipped to tackle them. They will be able to make corrections, ensure consistency and alert authors whenever necessary material is missing from citations and references.
• Correcting simple errors in typing and pointing out where similar errors in numerical data and the like appear are also activities that come naturally to professional proofreaders and editors, so if an author has been informed that there are too many careless errors in his or her manuscript, a proofreader or editor will have the well-trained eyes to detect and the knowledge to correct them.
Why Our Editing and Proofreading Services?
At proofreading services we pride ourselves on the exceptionally dedicated team of academic and scientific professionals who provide our English editing and proofreading services. Our editors and proofreaders are highly educated native speakers of English who have undergone rigorous training in expert editing practices, and their fields of study and specialisation range so widely that we are able to help our clients improve and polish research manuscripts of all kinds for successful publication. Many members of our research paper editing and proofreading team focus on journal editing, manuscript editing, scientific manuscript editing, academic proofreading, academic editing, dissertation proofreading services, professional proofreading, thesis editing services and scientific proofreading, assisting authors with articles that will be submitted to scientific and academic journals by ensuring that the formatting and references in their manuscripts conform to the relevant guidelines with precision and by correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling and typing errors to enable the clear and accurate communication of original research that acquisitions editors expect in publishable papers.
Our scientific editing, medical editing, bioscience editing, life science editing, environmental science editing, pharmaceutical science editing, physical science editing, agricultural science editing, LaTeX paper editing, social science editing, political science editing, engineering paper editing, psychology editing, research paper editing, manuscript editing, humanities editing, journal article editing, biomedical science editing, planetary science editing, plant science editing, material science editing, veterinary science editing, behavioural science editing and neurosurgery editing services for authors of scientific papers and reports are especially popular, but we also excel at book editing and have the experience and expertise to proofread and edit books and papers of all kinds across every scholarly discipline. Some of our carefully trained editors and proofreaders work exclusively on PhD thesis editing, master’s dissertation proofreading, bachelor’s dissertation proofreading, thesis editing, dissertation editing, thesis proofreading and dissertation proofreading, applying their education and instructional skills in providing thesis editing and dissertation proofreading services that help advanced students to improve the formatting and language of their theses and dissertations and thereby increase their chances of degree success. Whether you are preparing a conference or class presentation, putting the final touches to a professional report for colleagues or tackling the challenging task of editing any kind of academic or scientific document for publication, a qualified member of our outstanding proofreading and editing team will be delighted to provide proofreading and editing services and boost your confidence in your written work.
If you are in the process of preparing an article for an academic or scientific journal, or planning one for the near future, you may well be interested in a new book, Guide to Journal Publication, which is available on our Tips and Advice on Publishing Research in Journals website.
We also offer the following services:
Journal Article Editing
Research Paper Editing
Grant Application Editing
Conference Paper Editing
Agricultural Science Editing
Chemistry Paper Editing
Environmental Science Editing
LaTeX Paper Editing Services
Life Science Editing
Material Science Editing
Medical Editing Services
Pharmaceutical Science Editing
Physical Sciences Editing
Planetary Science Editing
Plant Science Editing
Sports Science Editing
Veterinary Science Editing
Social Sciences Editing Services
Behavioural Science Editing
History Paper Editing
Management Studies Editing
Political Science Editing
Engineering Paper Editing
Law Paper Editing
PhD Thesis Editing
Master’s Dissertation Editing
Bachelor’s Dissertation Editing
Thesis Editing Services
Dissertation Editing Services
Thesis Proofreading Services
Dissertation Proofreading Services